Pages

Thursday 28 June 2012

Review: Ashen Winter by Mike Mullins



Title: Ashen Winter
Author: Mike Mullins
Series: Ashfall, #2
Publication Date: 16th October 2012














Warning! May contain spoilers for Ashfall.
Alex and Darla have been waiting at his Uncle’s farm for six months for his parents to come back. The eruption has caused a perpetual winter and things are harder than ever, food is scarce, there is still no gas or electricity and bandits are everywhere.
When bandits turn up at Alex’s Uncle’s farm with his Dad’s gun, Alex and Darla decide it is time they set off to find them. They face many difficulties and trials on their journey.

Why I picked this book up:
I loved the first one, especially the characters. I really wanted to see how they were coping and surviving.

Did it live up to my expectations?
It was a very good book, although I was expecting more about what life is like after the eruption. We were told a lot about what it was like, but I guess I was expecting to read about them rebuilding their lives. I also wanted to see more of Darla as she was my favourite character.

What I thought:
This was quite similar to the first one, which is good because I loved the first one, but was expecting more from this one. Basically, Alex takes the same journey in reverse, still trying to get to his parents, still running into trouble at every turn, still running out of food, and still freezing cold. This one did seem more violent than the first and in a way more scary, (although in a way not quite as scary, as the most scary part of the first was the fact that it could happen) it was very fast paced and kept you reading easily.
A few new characters were introduced, the most interesting being Ben, the others felt a bit flat to me, but Ben was a great character and I look forward to seeing more of him, (I almost like him as much as Darla!) but would have liked to see more of Darla.
Overall I thought this was a good book and definitely worth a read, it just didn’t blow my socks off like the first, although that could be because Ashfall was the first of its kind I read.

How it stood as part of a series:
You definitely need to read Ashfall first, and the ending was left in such a way that I can’t wait to read the next one; hopefully that one will be what I was hoping this one was. (Sorry I haven’t made much sense during this review, I can’t seem to say what I mean.)

Read if:
You have read and like Ashfall.

Up next for review:
Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...