Pages

Thursday 14 June 2012

What I Didn’t Say by Keary Taylor




Title: What I Didn't Say
Author: Keary Taylor
Series: N/A
Publication Date: 11th May 2012














My Synopsis:
Jake Hayes is a normal 17 year old boy, until a terrible drink driving accident causes him to lose his voice box. He has been in love with Samantha Shay for years, but never got up the guts to tell her. Now he will never be able to say it. Can he find another way to tell her, and how will he cope without being able to talk again.

Why I picked this book up:
I love a bit of YA romance, and seeing how people cope with hardship and tradegy, this book had both so perfect for me. I love a good book where I can really get inside the characters and see what it would feel like to be so different.

Did it live up to my expectations:
To be honest I’m not really sure, the story had me gripped, but mostly for the romance, and for Samantha’s story rather than Jake’s. I didn’t feel as though I really connected with him and understood how he felt.

What I thought:
I loved the way the chapters were headed with references to time, usually a countdown to something, or past something. It gave the book a more personal feel and helped you always know exactly where you were as there were a few flashbacks.
The first half of the story was good, we got to see how Jake started to learn to cope with his disability, and see something starting between him and Sam.
In the second half the story changed from Jake’s story to Sam’s, it was still a good story and still had me gripped, but wasn’t what I picked the book up for, I still wanted to hear about how Jake was coping, but suddenly it seemed as though he was okay with everything that happened to him and coped fine by writing notes all the time? Maybe Sam’s story should have been a separate book.
A few things annoyed me throughout too, firstly all 6 of Jake’s siblings and himself had a name beginning with J, this just made it harder to remember which one as which especially as we don’t see very much of them except Jordan. Also Rain had a twin sister called River, seemed abit too much. We also have a few characters that don’t really seem to go anywhere or have any reason to be in the story, firstly, River, we find she is gay, and getting so much information makes t seem as though we will hear more of her, but she only makes a few appearances. The other character is Kali, he is bought in to help teach Jake sign language, and later moves into the loft space, but nothing else ever comes of him, the story would’ve fine without him.
Overall it is fine as a romance, but not so good in learning how people cope with a life changing disability.

Read if:
You like a sweet YA romance

 Up next to be reviewed: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...