Pages

Saturday 30 June 2012

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu



Title: Glitch
Author: Heather Anastasiu
Series: Glitch, #1
Publication Date: 7th August 2012














My Synopsis:
Everyone is connected to the “link” via a v-chip inserted into their necks. People no longer feel emotions or think for themselves, they simply do what they are programmed to. Any anomalies are to be reported and fixed; those that are not reported often get deactivated. Zoel/Zoe has started glitching, not only has she started disconnecting from the link and having her own thoughts and feelings, she also realises she can move things without touching them.

Why I picked this book up:
The premise just sounded really interesting.

Did it live up to my expectations?
I didn’t really have any expectations from this book, so it had nothing to live up to.

What I thought:
I started reading 1984 by George Orwell at the same time as this book, and the similarities struck me, in both worlds people were being controlled by those in power, they each had some kind of “link” and each started with the main character have thoughts and feelings they shouldn’t. They even both had main characters that hid something that showed their feelings, (Drawings in Glitch, Diary in 1984) I stopped reading 1984 at this point to make sure I didn’t confuse the 2 books so cannot tell you if that’s where the similarities ended or just got started, but I will be sure to once I finish 1984.
There were bad points and good points about this book. The premise was good, but the story could have been better. I liked Zoe and understood her confusion and indecisiveness about turning herself in, she was programmed to believe that she should, but she was also worried about being deactivated.
I had a few problems with inconsistencies in this book though, firstly we are told she sees no colours while “linked”, but then we read that the “Regulators” stand out wearing blue coveralls, she also points out other colours, now I understand she is not linked while seeing these colours, but why would the regulators wear different coloured clothes if no one can actually tell? Also how does she know which colour is which if it’s the first time she is seeing it? The same thing happens with taste, at one point she describes all the different flavours she can taste in her food, but she wouldn’t have known what they were if she had never tasted before.
It also seemed as though even when she was linked she still had thoughts and feelings, otherwise she wouldn’t remember not being linked, or at least what it had felt like.
I really didn’t like Max towards the end, at first I really liked him, but grew to hate him throughout the book, Adrien and Zoe however I did like.
I did enjoy the book despite these problems but will probably not read it again.

How it stood as part of a series:
This wasn’t a bad start to the series, but I hope the next one will be better. I will continue the series, because I am intrigued to see what happens next.

Read if:
I not sure what to recommend for this book.

Up next for review:
Fallen Angel by Eden Bradley




2 comments:

  1. I've seen this novel being talked a lot about on Goodreads and good to know that despite its faults you still enjoyed it!
    Alex @ Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, I'm reading this book now and it's hard not to notice the incongruences. I think what irritates the most is the instant love factor.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...