Pages

Friday 6 July 2012

Review: Scars by Cheryl Rainfield




Title: Scars
Author: Cheryl Rainfield
Series: n/a
Publication Date: 31st May 2011






My Synopsis 
Kendra has recently started having memories of being abused; the memories don’t allow her to see the abuser’s face though. To enable to cope with memories she starts cutting, this, her art and her therapist are the only things keeping her sane.

Why I picked this book up:
I haven’t read any books about cutting, and although I have never actually gone that far I can understand the attraction in it.

Did it live up to my expectations?
Yes.

What I thought:
The book opens with Kendra telling her therapist that someone is following her. She is already unsure if she is being paranoid or if “he” really is after her again. This was enough to pull me in straight away. The emotions in this book are so real and raw that you really feel you know what Kendra is going through. She other issues aside from the abuse, so it interesting to read about those too. I was a bit confused at first as I wasn’t sure if Kendra was a lesbian or not, and when I was sure she was, I wasn’t sure if her parents knew or anyone else for that matter. This is quite glossed over in the book, she admits her mum is homophobic and her parents do mention her being gay, but you are still unsure how many other people know. I also wasn’t as keen on the ending as the rest of the story, throughout the story we are focused on her feelings, but at the end it seemed a lot more action focused and would have liked to know more about how she was feeling then.
Overall a really good book and definitely worth the read. I loved this book.

Read if:
You liked “One Moment” by Kristina McBride; both books are full of raw emotions and about young girls struggling to remember horrific events.
You enjoy realistic YA fiction.
You need a good cry.


Up next for review:
Entangled by Cat Clarke

2 comments:

  1. Hi I nominated you for the Versatile Award!
    http://readrw.blogspot.com/2012/07/versatile-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, sounds really interesting. Hmm, to the TBR it does! I love the format in which you write your reviews! I'm a new follower, check out my blog?
    www.dogearedandcoffeestained.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...