Pages

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Review: The Eyes of Kid Midas by Neal Shusterman






Title: The Eyes of Kid Midas
Author: Neal Shusterman
Series: n/a
Publication Date: 1992










 
My Synopsis:
Kevin Midas is badly bullied, so when he goes on a school trip to Divine Mountain he decides he will climb to the top. When he gets there he finds a pair of sunglasses. When he puts them on he finds out they are magic and will do anything he wishes.
With these glasses he can finally become who he wants to be, popular and not bullied, but at what cost?

Why I picked this book up:
I have a few of his other books on my wish list and only heard good things about them so when I saw this I picked it up.

Did it live up to my expectations?
Not really.

What I thought:
This started off really slow, we get a lot of background about Kevin being bullied and it is quite a while before he finds the sunglasses and the action gets started. Once it got started I enjoyed it for a while, but again it went on a bit before coming to an end. I did enjoy the end and thought it quite fitting. Having said that I am not the intended reader age, so maybe would have enjoyed it more if I had been younger, it has a good lesson about getting what you wish for and getting revenge.

My favourite quote/s from the book:
"On its worst days, the world still made some sort of sense, and that was a good thing."

If this book were a song it would be:
 “When Did You Fall” by Chris Rice, slow to start, then good, but gets a bit repetitive and you are glad when it’s over, but glad you listened to it and quite enjoyed it upon reflection.

If this book were a food it would be:
I’m not sure on this one, can’t quite think of a food that would sum it up.

Read if:
You enjoy young fiction, perfect for people aged about 10-12 I’d guess.

Up next for review:
Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...